You guys had to know it was coming, right? Totally obvious and such a cliche, but how could I not post about my New Year's resolutions? Embarrassing, personal and probably way too much information to be putting out on the internet, there's just no way I could resist.
Anyways, I've got 5 big goals for 2009:
1. Lose 10 pounds before our big trip to the Bahamas. Sadly, I think I've had this same resolution since I turned 15 and I don't think I've ever actually met my goal, which is probably the reason I make it over and over and over again. I did come close one year, but it involved Tara and I existing solely on eggs and oatmeal and doing Tae Bo twice a day in our dorm room. Not fun. Anyways, really I just want to get back in the habit of hitting the gym 5 times a week and eating healthy, portion-controlled meals. That's a resolution I know I can keep. Whether or not it leads to me losing 10 pounds remains to be seen, but it sure would be nice.
2. Complete G-Mail (the working title of our new book) and make it so fabulous and gripping that agents/editors will be begging to work with us. We have a great outline, have just begun writing the first few chapters, and so far so good. We've got a lot of work ahead of us, but it's so exciting to be writing again, especially since it really is a great story.
3. Be more patient with the kiddies. I'm horribly, horribly impatient. Especially when it comes to 3-year olds. Jack and I are constantly butting heads and now that Mia's favorite words are "NO MOMMY!" I'm hoping that I can turn over a new leaf in the New Year and be that wonderful, patient, laid back mom that I've always dreamed of being. Hmm, maybe some Xanax would help? Seriously, I bet most of those laid back moms are heavily medicated. How else can one deal with a screaming hitting 3-year-old without screaming right back at them? Note to self, schedule dr's appt ASAP.
4. Go to bed before midnight every single night. I am so bad about staying up too late at night and I have a feeling that not enough sleep makes me a little crabby (and thus impatient...), so my goal is to get my butt in bed before midnight every night.
5. Appreciate my life every single day. I'm so incredibly lucky. I have an amazing family, friends, a job that pays well and allows me the flexibility to write and spend loads of time with the kids. Everyone is healthy and happy and gainfully employed (for the time being) and I want to appreciate every single second of it. Unfortunately, we've all learned that life can change on a dime, so this year, while things are good, I don't want to take a single thing for granted.
Well, those are my big resolutions for 2009, and I'm hopeful that it's going to be a good year for everyone. A new book for Laura and me, a new president for our country, and a fresh start for all of us. What are your goals for the next year? Whatever your resolutions may be, hope you have a safe and Happy New Year!