1. I finished THE BODY FINDER in under three hours. Between the romance, the mystery and Kimberly Derting's impeccable sense of pacing, I literally could not put it down.
2. Violet is no damsel in distress. She's sarcastic, funny and has a slightly bizarre hobby of burying murdered animals. You'll fall in love with her instantly.
3. Jay isn't your typical YA love interest. Jay is sweet, sensitive and an amazing friend. Bad boys are so last season. It was beyond refreshing to watch Violet fall for a sexy guy who actually remembers to open doors for her. Not to mention the fact that the scenes with Jay totally brought me back the heart pounding, stomach flipping feeling of falling in love for the first time. Excuse me while I swoon.
4. The writing is AMAZING. My favorite line in the entire book is a spoiler, so I won't quote it, but please go read the first couple of chapters so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. I dare you not to run to the bookstore when you're done.
5. Kimberly is one of the coolest authors out there. Seriously. She even stopped by to answer a few questions for us:
Tell us about your book in 140 characters or less.
TBF is about a girl who can sense the echoes the dead leave behind and the imprints attached to their killers. You’ll be shocked when Violet...(Sorry, out of characters).
Where did you get the idea for THE BODY FINDER? (As the official idea whores we have a vested interest here.)
Ha, my husband’s favorite question! Because of this, I thought it might be fun if we both answered.
Hubby: I came up with everything about this story and should really be considered Kimberly’s co-author.
Me: Hubby’s contribution was the following sentence: “Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a boy who could find dead bodies?” As soon as he said it, I had already changed the MC to a teenage girl and started creating her creepy ability…and a love story, cause that’s how I roll. While he may not be my co-author, I still gave him some love in the acknowledgements.
Someone has a pair of scissors to your head (oooh, SCARY!) and you have to choose: Awesome title or gorgeous book cover?
Ok, for idea whores, THAT is the scariest situation you could come up with???
I would go with gorgeous book cover every time! And then hopefully everyone would be SO caught up with its blinding beauty that they wouldn’t think twice about my book title which would be:
“ROUND AND ROUND THE D-BAG-O-METER GOES” by Kimberly Derting (for which the Roecker girls may or may not deserve some love in the acknowledgements. Just sayin’). But that would be one amazingly awesome cover!
When did you know you had to be a writer?
In high school, I would write these heartfelt notes for the attendance office about how sick I was the previous day…. and then I would sign my mom’s name. That was when I thought that just maybe I could be a writer. Or maybe just a really good liar. (Sorry, mom!)
Twizzlers or M&Ms?
M&Ms. In popcorn. With Twizzlers.
See what I mean? Kimberly ROCKS. And her book is one of the best I've read all year.
Lucky for all of you we're giving away our copy, so leave a comment and make sure you're following our blog to enter. We'll announce the winner tomorrow at 8 AM. Good luck!!!