Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Bookanistas: Covers We Covet

It's no secret that we're a couple of cover whores and as 2011 approaches, there have been a slew of gorgeous covers revealed. Here are a few of our favorites:

XVI by Julia Karr

In the year 2150, being a girl isn’t necessarily a good thing, especially when your sixteenth (read sex-teenth) birthday is fast approaching. That in itself would be enough to make anyone more than a little nuts, what with the tattoo and all – but Nina Oberon’s life has taken a definite turn for the worse. Her mother is brutally stabbed and left for dead. Before dying, she entrusts a secret book to Nina, telling her to deliver it to Nina's father. But, first Nina has to find him; since for fifteen years he's been officially dead. Complications arise when she rescues Sal, a mysterious, and ultra hot guy. He seems to like Nina, but also seems to know more about her father than he’s letting on. Then there’s that murderous ex-government agent who’s stalking her, and just happens to be her little sister’s dad.








Freak. That’s what they called seventeen year-old Donna Underwood in high school after a horrific fey attack that killed her father when she was just a child. Her injuries and rehabilitation resulted in magically enhanced strength, thanks to the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. As a child of the alchemists, she is both blessed and cursed with a magical heritage that doesn't leave much room for boys, parties and homework.  

Now, after ten years of wishing for a normal life, she finally has to accept her role in the centuries-old war against the darkest outcasts of Faerie: the Dark Elves. Aided by a gorgeous half-fey dropout, Donna must race to save her best friend’s life - even if it means betraying one of the world’s greatest secrets and confronting the very thing that destroyed her family. 





Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

Super-smartie Kate Grable gets to play doctor, helping out her high school football team. Not only will the experience look good on her college apps, she gets to be thisclose to her quarterback crush, Aaron. Then something disturbing happens. Kate finds out that the coach has given the team steroids. Except . . . the vials she finds don’t exactly contain steroids. Whatever’s in them is turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless, flesh-eating . . . zombies.

Unless she finds an antidote, no one is safe. Not Aaron, not Kate’s brother, not her best friend . . . not even Kate . . .

It’s scary. It’s twisted. It’s sick. It’s high school.





2011 is going to be EPIC. We've had a few questions about when we'll be revealing the cover for LIAR SOCIETY and we are hoping to unveil it very, very soon. We've seen a couple rough comps and we are beyond excited to share.

Check out what our fellow Bookanistas are up to today:

Christine Fonseca is coveting the cover of A TOUCH MORTAL
Shelli Johannes-Wells is working some MAJIK
Bethany Wiggins is totally team Jay with THE BODY FINDER
Beth Revis recommends THE REPLACEMENT
Carolina Valdez Miller talks up NIGHTSHADE
Shannon Messenger raves about The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter
Kirsten Hubbard is coveting 2011 covers


P.S.
Please go congratulate the ab fab Gretchen McNeil on her book deal for BANISH! We could not be more excited for her!

34 comments:

mo said...

I've actually had all three of these books on my I WANT NOW list. Their covers are absolutely stunning!!

I'm excited for 2011 too! And I can't wait for the reveal of your own cover. :D I can't wait for your book, period, actually.

Martina Boone said...

Ooh, the premise of the Iron Witch sounds interesting. These are gorgeous covers. Great job, Bookanistas!

Tiffany Strelitz Haber said...

i wish you guys lived in ny/nj!!
xoxo

S.A. Larsenッ said...

These are all awesome in their distinct ways. Love Bad Taste In Boys!

Thanks, ladies.

Stina said...

All these books sound great, and I love the covers.

Can't wait to see your cover. I'm wondering if Fire Teen is going to do the cover contest for yours too (they have the contest right now for the book of a friend of mine--The Weight of Bones).

Matthew MacNish said...

Those are all really cool but I REALLY heart the IRON WITCH cover. WOW.

K. M. Walton said...

LOVE Carrie's cover and can not wait to read her book.

~Jamie said...

I could not love that Carrie Harris cover more. Those lips are cold, or sugary, or both--and they make me want to write a zombie book, just so MY cover would be that fantastic!

Lindsay said...

I want all these books, now! Love the covers.

JEM said...

Oh me likey! I love the cover of Bad Taste in Boys, although the font is a little True Blood-y for me. The cover of XVI is gorgeous, and I want to know why that girl is crying. Good choices!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

These covers deserve medals. They're amazing, especially XVI. Wow. Blows me away. I'd read these just based on the covers.

Heidi Willis said...

I think there must be a special gene for YA book covers, because I almost never have the same taste as YA authors! :)

I was just thinking about this, though, in reading my EW book reviews, and how every single cover in the books they review are stunning. I wondered if that's how they picked the books out of their slush pile to review. I wanted to read them just based on the covers, even if I didn't like the synopsis!

Can't wait to see your cover! What an exciting time!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Those are so awesome!!! Can't wait to read them.

Bethany Wiggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

It took me a while to get the XVI cover, but I love it! I can't wait for these three.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

love this -- I chose two of the same covers for my cover post, plus I was thisclose to including Julia's but I was so exhausted I headed to bed. All of them are dark and incredible.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Wa-hoo, Elevensies!

Elissa J. Hoole said...

ooh, very cool. I love book covers so much, and I'm excited to see yours! :D

Christine Fonseca said...

Best covers!!! LOVE THEM ALL.

emily j. griffin said...

Oh my god, the cover for Bad Taste in Boys is epic.

Eh. Pic.

Anonymous said...

Great covers!! I'm adding XVI to my must read list. Thanks!!

XiXi said...

These covers look amazing. I definitely want to check out XVI.

Tere Kirkland said...

Been looking forward to all these. Gorgeous covers. Y'all picked some winners!

Talli Roland said...

These are fantastic covers! They make me want to dive right in to the novels - especially XVI.

Lisa_Gibson said...

These covers are totally frawesome! Stories sound equally great. Can't wait.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

love these!!!! cant wait to read them.

Veronica Roth said...

I LOVE the XVI one. And I'm so happy you posted it, because I hadn't heard of that book before, but it sounds awesome.

Also, even though there are a lot of "girls with hidden faces" covers out there, I still think The Iron Witch is great. Something about the head-shielding. Kickass.

Unknown said...

These covers are great. Definitely can't wait to read them.

Samantha said...

Those covers are great. My favorite right now is The Sky is Everywhere cover. It's just so different from anything else on the YA shelf I've seen in a while.

Kelly H-Y said...

It's true ... covers are such a huge draw!!! Great picks!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I can't wait to see your cover!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've seen these covers before ( was on the hunt for books to be published in 2011 ) but you are totally right! 2011 is going to be totally epic! And it will you know.

Carrie Harris said...

Thank you so much for posting my cover! I've just crawled out of the edit cave and was trolling the internet and feeling all funky and out of sorts. I needed a pick me up.

Your check's in the mail. Just don't, like, try to CASH it. ;)

Karen Mahoney said...

Thank you!! I've just been catching up on about a month's worth of 11sies blog posts - and there's my cover! On your blog!!

*beams*

Cheers,
Kaz

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...