Thursday, December 22, 2011

What I've learned the second time around...

It's been 3 1/2 years since we've had a newborn in the house. Not a huge amount of time, but enough to re-learn a few things.

  • Big sisters take their role very seriously. Well, some do. Lydia is one of them. It's super-cute.
  • Big sisters who take their role very seriously spend approximately 99% of their awake hours approximately 1 inch away from baby's face. It's kind of annoying.
  • How long does it take for said big sister's barking cough to be transferred to 4 week old? 2 days. Licking a newborn's face = bad idea.
  • James is a pokey eater and can give or take food. Lydia survived on very little food for a large portion of her early days. Lisa says I produce children who could survive the Apocalypse.
  • The 3 AM pokey feeds are semi-exhausting. But then again the house is quiet, the room is dark and I get to rock my little man while he stares at me like I'm the best thing in the whole wide world. It's hard to complain.
  • Someone asked me at 9 months pregnant if I was afraid I wouldn't love my second as much as I love my first. I looked at them like they were crazy. It never occurred to me. Now I know for sure that there is plenty of love to go around. Maybe just a tad bit less while Lydia licks James's face or James spits out his pacifier like it burns.
  • I'm waiting for that "my family is complete" feeling Lisa promised me I'd get when I looked at my new (and eventually final) addition. Haven't had it yet. I love newborns. I love the possibility and the promise and the hope that comes when you glance into the bassinet at the hospital and admire what you've created. And I can't imagine not doing it all over again. I'll get back to you when he's two.
Oh...and most importantly, I've learned that Thursday comes really, really quickly and reading a book right now is virtually impossible. I did finish HOW TO SAVE A LIFE though so be proud of me. It was incredible, by the way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful children! Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas :-)

Jill Hathaway said...

Awww, love that pic!

I'm feeling the opposite way. Right now I can't imagine ever, EVAR having another newborn. But I'm sure, when Little'un is two, I'll start getting the cravings again.

Marsha Sigman said...

That is so sweet my teeth ache.lol

Oh, and Lydia's licking thing, is that just the baby? Because mine is about the same age and he licks everything. I was totally grossed at first but now I've given up. Lick those drapes. I need a nap.

K. M. Walton said...

Those 3 AM quiet times were my absolute favorite parts of raising my boys -- who are now 14 and 10 years old. So magical.

Laura S. said...

That's a really sweet picture! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a super happy new year!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at the snuggle puppy and his beautiful sister! I think my uterus just skipped a beat.

Steph said...

Having just brought home our newest addition (and I *finally* have the "my family is complete feeling" after 4) :) I am right there with you. So in love with this little, amazing human being and feeling so, so blessed- even at 3am. :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I don't plan on having the family is complete feeling until after the next one, not the one I'm carrying now. Although if the four is yet another boy, I'm not guaranteeing to hubby that we're done at four. Although we might stop at four anyhow. We'll see.

Julie Hedlund said...

Both of your children are adorable! They are the same age distance as my two, only mine are now 8 (daughter) and 5 (son).

And my daughter also takes her big sister job seriously. Still.

Your post made me long for those earlier days again, although I swore I would never want to go back to them. I'm not having another, but I do feel nostalgic sometimes. Enjoy!

Jemi Fraser said...

Beautiful photo! THere really is nothing like a newborn - more precious than anything else I've encountered. Enjoy :)

erica m. chapman said...

OMG, they are so ADORABLE. Seriously, you and Lisa have some cute-arse kids. Wonderful post ;o)

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...