Friday, September 25, 2009

Fabulous Friday

It's been quite a week over here and we've learned a lot...

1. Our writing friends are made of win. We've had three (almost 4) writerly friends score kickass agents this week. Proving our theory that we're friends with some of the most talented writers EVER. Big congratulations to Katie and Steph! More on the other two amazing writers next week when they're ready to make announcements.

2. Our writing process is weird. For our WIP, the unfortunately named Unclaimed Baggage, we've broken the book into five pretty distinct sections. Our process has been a little different for this book in that we're writing a section and then sending it over to our amazing beta reader for feedback. I know we're breaking some cardinal rule of first drafting by doing all this editing amidst writing new words, but it's really working for us. I think by the time we finish up this first draft it will be ready to send to Mayjah Agent. Ooh, we have a long way to go, but I really can't wait to see what she thinks.

3. I love craptastic TV, but even I have my limits. Turns out that both Melrose Place and TBL (The Beautiful Life) are too craptastic even for my tastes. Does this mean I'm getting old or that Mischa Barton is the worst actress ever? I'm just not sure anymore.

4. Gregory Hines is a really famous tap dancing actor. Laura unintentionally named one of the characters in our book after him, and yes, she is indeed the blonde sister. Our beta reader was all, "Um...you know that you've named your detective after a famous actor from the 80's right?" We're thinking of switching his first name to Duncan. Just for fun.



5. I'm terrified of flies. It's too traumatic to post on the blog, but suffice it to say that I got a karmic bitchslap for making fun of Laura and her spider phobia.

Have a fab weekend everyone!

16 comments:

Mariah Irvin said...

Gregory Hines! Oh that's too funny!

Sarah Wylie said...

Don't feel too bad about breaking up with Melrose Place and TBL. Mischa Barton is high on my list of unwatchable actresses (closely followed by Ashlee Simpson, particularly in her 7th Heaven days).

I don't even know who Gregory Hines is, but that is funny!

sunna said...

OMG, all I can think of now is White Nights.

And Mischa Barton is indeed awful. I refuse to watch her play Vicki Austin, no matter how much I love L'Engle - it was just wrongness.

Sara Raasch said...

:D

Flies are terrifying. Did you see that horror movie with Jeff Goldblum? *shudder*

confused homemaker said...

She is hard to watch on TV, perhaps that's why she had the breakdown? Maybe she saw her own acting. Ok, that was mean true but mean.

Loretta Nyhan said...

This is for Laura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4w3-CPP6E&feature=related

At least she didn't name the character Mikhail Baryshnikov.

Have a great fly-free weekend!

Unknown said...

I named one of my characters Al Green.

Not kidding.

Thanks for the laughs ladies!

storyqueen said...

Well now, if you don't have to watch two crappy shows on TV, that's two more hours of writing time a week....and since there are two of you....that's four hours!

Mischa Barton just gave you four hours of writing.

(You should thank her.)

Shelley

JESSJORDAN said...

1. What is this "almost 4" you speak of? Is this fourth person really a half person? Huh? Huh? Huhhh?

2. I like your writing process. I edit some while I'm writing. I can't help it.

3. I've watched 2 episodes of Melrose Place, and I haven't given up on it just yet. I've only seen the first episode of TBL, and it wasn't oh-so-bad, but man, do I still hate Mischa Barton! (Am I the only one that thought it was wise to whack her character in The OC?)

4. LOL! Definitely go with Duncan. It has a nice ring to it. Sounds kind of familiar for some reason ... :P

5. Karmic bitchslaps suck. But that's what you get, yo. Be nicer to your sister.

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh,. Gregory Hines? I taught his son, Zachary, when he was in middle school. When Mr Hines came in for Back to School night, I pretty much had a panic attack. I didn't think I was the star struck type, but I literally couldn't breathe when he walked into the room and sat down!

Tess said...

You guys are likely too young to know Gregory Hines, but I remember him well. He was cool in the day. And, that experience goes hand in hand w/ my post on googling your character names. That is something new I learned as of late.

Funny story. And glad the WIP is going so swimmingly.

Happy weekend!

Little Ms J said...

Gregory Hines has the best jewelry. Did you see that earring?

Aloha from Hawaii where my feet are swollen and purple. The Lava Flows with the lil umbrellas seem to help.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Great photo of Gregory Hines!

The only show I'm addicted to right now is Glee.

As for the flies, when my son was in kindergarten he trapped one in a ziploc and wanted to take it to school to show. So we sealed it in there and the next morning the bag was filled with maggots. He was stoked! I was horrified.

His teacher came up to me after school and was like, "I hope you don't mind, but I threw away the maggots after the kids had fun looking at them." And I'm like, "Thank you! I didn't want them back!"

So, point being, I'll take spiders over flies any day!

Stina said...

So all you have to do is send your first draft to your great agent and she tells you if it's worth pursuing? Cool!

Carrie Harris said...

I watched one episode of Melrose for sentimental purposes, but yeah. It's craptastic.

JESSJORDAN said...

I am here to reevaluate my position on TBL. Given its early demise, I've elected not to watch the second and final episode. As for Melrose Place, wow is it craptastic! The flashbacks drive me bonkers, and, to be honest, I don't give a rat's behind who killed or is it Sidney. (Probably doesn't help that I never watched the original MP.) Maybe I'll just stick with 90210 ...

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...