At approximately 10:00 PM the night before a weekday, either one of us will ask the other the same question.
Any ideas for the blog tomorrow?
We usually (unless Laura breaks it) have an unspoken rule about having a blog post scheduled/edited before turning in for the night. And, we're not gonna lie, sometimes the posts flow freely, must-be-written type of writing, perfectly timely and witty and entertaining and enlightening, and others just...don't.
But we've been doing a whole lot of talking about the how and why behind our blog, so here goes nothing.
1. We're committed to random. Books? Check. Writing? Check. Kids? Check. Live-streamed thoughts on a crappy Lifetime movie? Check. We are incredibly random individuals (thanks primarily to our dad) and we love to share the random. No, it's not always going to make sense and yes, sometimes you will be offended (we're looking at you Regulator), but, hey, at least it's (sometimes) entertaining.
2. We're honest. We aren't known for beating around any bushes. If we're having a crappy mom kind of day, you'll be the first to know about it. If we cried when we saw our cover, yep, we'll let you in. If we think Gywneth would give the old D-Bag-O-Meter a run for its money, we'll put it out there. Honesty's the best policy, bitches.
3. We're not afraid to be the butt of the joke. We grew up with people making fun of us. Constantly. I have a memory of my parents joking around about how my braces and my general disdain for personal hygiene (In my defense I was 11! Ok, fine, it's still pretty gross.) wouldn't exactly earn me prom queen votes. It's kind of difficult to take yourself seriously after that although I made a valiant effort while dancing in a very unfortunate production of Swan Lake at Sharon's School of Dance. Yeah, I was the oversized swan in the back who was consistently five steps behind the rest of the class.
4. We try to admit when we're wrong. We make a lot of mistakes. Thinking about some of them makes us cringe. (Is it ever a good idea to give a book a thumbs down and TAKE A PICTURE OF IT??? Um, no. No, it is not.) We hope that when we make announcements about how we got rejected by 100 literary agents when we queried our first novel because we had no clue what we were doing and sent it out WAY too early that you'll learn from our complete lack of judgement. We're nothing if not a walking, talking cautionary tale about how not to succeed in publishing.
5. We're here because we love it. At the end of the day, we're not trying to be anyone except who we actually are. Some days we're rookie novelists launching our debut novel. Other days we're posting humiliating pictures to reminisce about the tragedy that was 90's fashion. And a lot of days we're hanging around in yoga pants wondering how people survive without Nick Jr. (aka preschool on demand). But mostly we're a couple of moms trying to have our cake and eat it too. Now, if we could just find that fork....
So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...
Since I am the worst tweeter ever, Lisa informed me of the #Speakloudly Twitter campaign that's happening as we speak. It brought b...
So when we got wind that the fantabulous Kody Keplinger was organizing something called Agent Appreciation Day, we knew we were in. Not onl...