Thursday, January 26, 2012

The evolution of a smile...

I am a very emotional person. Always have been. When I cry, I cry hard. When I laugh, I laugh so hard I cry. BUT I create VERY stoic children.

Lydia spent her first 9 or so weeks looking like this:

Big ole blue eyes, flared nostrils, serious, serious stuff.

And now James? He makes us work extra, EXTRA hard for that smile. And just so you know, I've worked extra, EXTRA hard trying to get him to smile. If I put half as much effort into keeping my house clean or writing or exercising or...well, pretty much anything, I'd be a new woman. But who needs any of that stuff when you get that smidgen of a smile that makes everything, EVERYTHING worth it? Exactly.

Here's what I've got so far:





But the reality is, James spends most of his time looking like this:


So, I guess you could say he's emotional after all. Plus, rumor has it I was a terrible baby and my mom always said I had it coming. Sensitive or not, he's worth it. But for Lisa's sake, I hope he decides to hand out a few more smiles. Our writing career depends on it.

6 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

LOVE those little faces! Such serious children!

So, when he gives you an all out belly laugh, it's going to be really worth it, right? :D

Marta Szemik said...

These pictures made me smile :) Very lovely and cute!

storyqueen said...

I actually snorted aloud about the last picture...and I am really not a snorter.

LOVE that baby James!Love him!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

*dies of cuteness overload*

You know he's grinning from ear to ear the very second you turn around, right? That's why he's smirking at you. Totally.

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh my - the one in the green striped jams is beyond adorable.

Joy Preble said...

oh good god almighty this is the cutest baby boy.

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...