Friday, January 20, 2012

Dear Nolan

Here's a Friday truth for all of you: We still read reviews of The Liar Society.

Yeah, I know it's tacky to admit it in public. Cool authors always say they never read reviews, but clearly our coolness factor was voided long, long ago so this shouldn't really be a shock to anyone who knows us. We normally follow the whole never publically comment on a review deal, because publically commenting on reviews gets authors in big, big trouble. But this review was too awesome to ignore.

From Nolan on Amazon:

A five star review:


5.0 out of 5 stars excellente, December 4, 2011
This review is from: The Liar Society (Paperback)
i think the title attracted me the most becuase pink hAIR is awesome. the mystery is great and it reminds me of the secret that we as a society keep from others to protect us.

Thank you, Nolan for FINALLY noticing the intricate layers of The Liar Society. It's totally an allegory for the pathetic emptiness of their meaningless consumer driven lives. (Gold star for anyone who can identify the movie from which I borrowed that quote.)

I took a look at the rest of Nolan's reviews and I'm impressed with his/her ability to concisely get right to the heart of whatever it is he/she happens to be reviewing.

On Elizabeth Scott's wrenching LIVING DEAD GIRL:
4.0 out of 5 stars sad, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Living Dead Girl (Paperback)
i think that this book teaches a lesson that we never know how lucky we are to have loving parents. we should also be aware of our surroundings and be on guard all the time and find someone we can trust no matter what thew situation is.

True that, Nolan. Being aware of your surroundings is ALWAYS a good idea.

On the DVD of the hit movie Stick It:

5.0 out of 5 stars #1, December 4, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Stick It (DVD)
this movie is grerat and no scratches so i am excited about that. i recommend buying this movie if its on sale. this really gets you in the mood for exercising

Puts you in the mood for exercising? Sign me up!

So, bottom line: Nolan - You are awesome. Thank you for taking the time to review books/items that you enjoy on Amazon. Even though we avoid commenting on reviews, I can't even begin to tell you how much every single review means to us. Each review has given us something to think about, made us smile or inspired a long conversation between Laura and I making fun of ourselves and our writing. Because in this business the only thing more obnoxious than being nasty to reviewers is taking yourself too seriously.

Happy Friday everyone!

9 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great review, Ladies! Congratulations. :) I think authors should read their reviews...it's like a paying critique group and you want to know if something isn't working from your paying audience, right?

Happy Friday!

HelenL said...

I enjoyed reading this. I read reviews more than I probably should, and I absolutely LOVE the ones from people who seem to get the essence of my book. It doesn't even matter whether they're stellar reviews. It's just nice to feel that someone understands what you were trying to do.

Tere Kirkland said...

This put a smile on my face that has nothing to do with it being Friday afternoon. Great reviews, Nolan!

You ladies are lucky to have such amazing fans, but I'm sure y'all already knew that, hmm? ;)

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome! :)

Hope you both have a great weekend!

B.E. Sanderson said...

LOL, that's from Ten Things I Hate About You. Love that movie.

Great review. Nolan is a truly wise person.

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck! I blogged about reviews today and I said NOT to read them! You guys are rock stars, and I'm the lame, pathetic author rocking back and forth in the corner. Sigh.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I really want to go write awesome reviews on random products now... :)

Christa Desir said...

Haha! I love Nolan. I want to make him cocoa and oatmeal. Also, I have never heard an author say they don't read reviews. Is that what the cool ones do bc John Green reads reviews and he's like the president of the Church of Cool.

Steph said...

Whateves, i'm beyond uncool because I stalk my reviews. ;)

Christa, you are so right about John Green.

And Stick It is one of my hubs fav. movies. I'm sure he's thrilled that I'm publicly posting that! ;)

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...