Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Movie Review: BRIDESMAIDS

Stop what you're doing.
Pick up the phone.
Call your best friend.
Establish a meeting time.
Book a babysitter if need be.
Prepare to laugh your ass off.

A few questions to ask yourself. Did you like Superbad? Who didn't? How about Knocked Up? One of Laura's favorites. Or 40-Year-Old Virgin? A total classic. Well, Bridesmaids is even better because it's a predominantly female cast and everyone knows girls are funnier than boys. So there.

Throughout the movie, Annie is kind of a train wreck. She's single, but stuck in a crappy one-sided friends-with-benefits situation with none other than Jon Hamm and when her best friend is engaged to be married, she's asked to be maid of honor. Unfortunately for her, one of her best friend's other girlfriends is lobbying for that very position. They basically compete to fill the role and hilarity ensues.

We were crying at parts, Lisa snorted throughout and we consumed entirely too much popcorn making this one of the best nights out we've had in a long time. We declared this movie the kind that only gets better every time you see it and predict many viewings of Bridesmaids in our future. All of the ladies were funny in their own right, but we have to say, Melissa McCarthy had it going on. From the very beginning, she cracked us up with her description of falling off a cruise ship, thus securing a place in our hearts forevermore.

Save for one exceptionally disgusting scene in a bridal store, it's a true A+ from the Roecker sisters. This just makes my standards for The Hangover Part II soar through the roof. Those boys are in trouble.

10 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

I don't know about this one.

Is it Judd Apatow? I can't remember if he's the screenwriter or producer, but those other movies are all his. If it's his maybe I'll see it.

Stina said...

I might just go see this while my ms is out with beta readers. It would be more entertaining than catching up with the much negected cleaning. :)

Summer Frey said...

I want to see this. It's gotten great critical review, which I don't usually care about, but helps a bit with comedies. I loved The Hangover so hard, so I'm glad I have another funny to anticipate.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I've been dying to see this!

K. M. Walton said...

Saw it. LOVED it. Laughed so hard I cried. Want to see it again. Kristin Wiig is a freaking genius (she co-wrote it).

Candyland said...

O.M.G. Funniest movie. EVER. My husband even loved it. And he's straight. I would pee my pants all over again to see it again.

Krispy said...

I'm always wary of going to see comedies, so I usually see them after they're out on DVD. Your review totally intrigues me though. Maybe this is one for the theater.

Tracey Neithercott said...

I'm dying to see this. And Melissa McCarthy (or as I still refer to her, Suki from Gilmore Girls) is hilarious in the previews. She sold me on it.

ali cross said...

Well, after that roaring endorsement, I guess I have no choice but to see it, eh? Calling up friends now . . .

Lola Sharp said...

We're gonna go see it Friday night, so I'm happy to hear you loved it. And I love Melissa (Sookie from GG! I miss Stars Hollow. *sobs*) and I'm thrilled to hear she was good in it.

Also, I don't care if it's the same movie in a different setting, I'm beyond excited (and immature, but hey...) about the Hangover 2. I can quote every line of the first one.

Hugs,
Lola

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...