Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thoughts on being a mother and an author...

I set up Lydia's bouncy chair to face the bed in the master bedroom. I do this every morning as I am making the bed, so she can watch me and hopefully internalize how to one day keep her own room clean. When John (my husband) came home for lunch today, he asked if Lydia watches me while I take naps. Funny. Contrary to popular belief, stay at home moms do more than just lay on the couch and eat bon bons all day. In fact, now that I am a stay at home mom and attempting to pump out my part of our first novel, my day is full of creative processes. For one, I have to figure out how to write while keeping Lydia happy. See image 1.

And this often ends with her trying to claw her way out of a high chair or bouncy seat, visibly unhappy. See image 2.


So, she often ends up seated comfortably in my lap (see image 3) as I attempt to type the novel that will hopefully help pay for the childcare necessary to write more than a paragraph at a time.

And no, those aren't bon bons, they are actually Toll House chocolate chips. John ate the last of the bon bons last night during Gossip Girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love it! This is so true! Between work, kids, hubby and life in general, finding time to actually write is such a challenge! The one-handed-mommy-typing is a serious talent! :)

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...