Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Annual LiLa Writer's Conference - Networking

So, now that everyone has a glass of Prosecco which they're happily slurping through a Twizzler straw (don't forget to bite off the ends before you start sucking!) I think it's time for a little networking.

First up, the fabulous Loretta Nyhan has started a blog. Now you may not know Loretta yet, but she's represented by the amazing Joanna Stampfel-Volpe and she's going to be the next Sarah Dessen. Trust me. Go check her out and follow her pronto. You can thank me once she's made all the bestseller lists and you're bragging to your friends that you knew her way back when.

And not that she'd ever be caught dead at a writer's conference, but our fabulous, amazing, way-more-talented-than-we-could-ever-hope-to-be sister, Stacey Vaughan, has started her very own website, Poochie Prints - For the Modern Mom. And don't be fooled by the adorable name, it's definitely not just for moms. There's all kinds of gorgeous stationary, cards, and wall art available for purchase. And on top of that she does custom everything! So whether you need business cards, invitations, or a photo shopped picture of you standing with Gerard Butler - she's your girl.

And last but not least, we just joined this crazy thing called Skype. Knowing us we're totally behind the times and all of you guys are already on it, chatting amongst yourselves and making fun of our lame conference. Regardless, if you're up for some real networking you can chat with us or we can even have a live video conference. Just know there's no way we'll agree to a video chat if we're in our yoga pants with the holes in them, which is like 99.9% of the time. Of course, you might get lucky and catch Laura in her tiara, and she's always up for a video chat in her tiara. Anyways, if you ever want to chat shoot us an e-mail and we'll send you our usernames and add you to our buddy list. 

Ok, conference attendees, now it's your turn. Share a few of your favorite blogs, websites and networking forums in the comments and we'll all get the chance to meet some fabulous new people.

Man, our conference rocks. Off to top off my Prosecco. Ugh, Little Ms. J is totally right, the Prosecco made my Twizzler straw taste like wax. Oh well, guess I'll just have to open up a new package.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Here is a blog with big umph (especially for those who like mystery) note agents who write for it, but also note the Great Posts! http://heydeadguy.typepad.com/heydeadguy/

Rebecca Knight said...

Yay, now I can chat-stalk you, too! :D Oh, I just typed that out loud, didn't I... yeah...

I went and followed that fabulous friend of yours. Thanks for the link!

Christina Lee said...

thanks for the links- yay! sister Stacey-adorable stuff! yeah I've got nothing to share that you probably dont already know about-the newest blog for me to follow and check their archives for is bloodredpencil.com-lots of good writing tips, like how to use verbs properly and POV etc.
that's all I got!

Unknown said...

Um... another one as I am SERIOUSLY procrastinating http://glnroz33.blogspot.com/

He'll kill me, but I can't begin to tell you how much I love his writing.

PurpleClover said...

waddup?! I just followed your friend. That is awesome that you are promoting your sister's website! haha.

Here is the most awesome blog I've ever found!

If I can think of some more I'll let you guys know! But you are already members to all the awesomest of blogs. :D

Loretta said...

Yay! You gals so totally rule. Thanks for the PR!

Here's my contribution to the blog list:

http://popelegantiarum.blogspot.com/

Alexa's isn't about writing, but it does wonders for the imagination!

Kelly H-Y said...

You guys are so hilarious. Maybe my daughter will let me borrow her princess tiara! :-) Off to check out your links.

Joanna said...

OMG-I wish you didn't put Poochie Prints on here and just told me in secret so I could always buy the best gifts EVER and never tell a sole where I got them...now I just have to buy the best gifts ever along with everyone else! And I'm in the market for new business cards...

Anyway, I have two young, fun YA clients with fantastic blogs! (And it's not just because I guest-blogged on one recently...):

Kody is a 17-yr-old authoress whose first book comes out next Fall with Little Brown/Poppy!

http://kodymekellkeplinger.blogspot.com/

Amy Lukavics is a seriously dark and talented writer who is soon to be a young, hot mama!

http://www.lovethefreeworld.blogspot.com/

This conference is fun--I'll keep coming back to go to more sites...even though I should be reading...or doing laundry...

Joanna said...

Dude, I totally just fell for Purple Cover's link!

Oh yooouuu....

Here's another blog:

Realm Lovejoy is a video game designer, an artist, a writer, and an all around rockstar gal

http://realmlovejoy.blogspot.com/

PurpleClover said...

Joanna -

Other than my sister texting me to say I'm a traitor, you are the first to say something!

:D

lisa and laura said...

Suzanne - Awesome blogs, thanks for those links!

Rebecca - We enjoy being stalked in a multitude of ways, so feel free to chat stalk.

Christina - We've gotten some great tips on the bloodredpencil. Love that blog!

P-Clo - LMJ is right. We fell for it too. Although we're strangely flattered. Well played.

Loretta - Love that blog! Who doesn't want to know random facts about Bette Davis and amazing pie?

Kelly - If you manage to snag a tiara, I bet you and Laura could do a little princess video chat together. Just don't be surprised when Laura also adds her Homecoming Queen sash to her ensemble. Just to really rub it in.

Jo - My reply to you got too long, will just have to send you an e-mail instead. Thanks for the amazing links Ms. Networker. You know some kickass people!

Little Ms J said...

To Purple - You are MY sister. Lisa and Laura have each other and even an extra sister to spare. They promote each other's blogs and websites (Stacey's stuff is adorable, BTW), but what does MY sister do? She decides to try and finagle her way into their family. They don't need a fourth sister, Purple. Humph.

LiLa - I feel slightly guilty telling you this.. and maybe even a little opportunistic, but I live vicariously through your networking. I reap the benefits of your ability to comment on every other site in the ether. They follow your comment back to your blog, say hi and eventually I get a little note, "Came by way of LiLa" and I do a little sociopathic dance and then giggle about how sneaky I am.

And I'm still taking credit for introducing you to Grey Street Girl, so I'm off the hook on this exercise.

Can we drink now?

lisa and laura said...

LMJ - There is a teeny tiny secret about our blog networking and only my mom and Laura know the truth. And if either of them spills the beans I will divorce them. Forever. And don't even ask for the truth because we will never tell.

lisa and laura said...

P.S. P-Clo, if you really want to be a part of the fam, all you have to do is ask. My mom is thisclose to adopting LMJ anyways.

Sarah Wylie said...

I stand by what I said. You guys are definitely in the popular group when it comes to blogs. You know and hang out with all the cool people.
By the way, every time I try to quit Twizzlers (I know, blasphemy), you guys talk about it and reel me back in. Do you secretly work for them?

lisa and laura said...

Sarah - We are definitely not cool. Quite the opposite. We're total nerds who watch way too much TV, obsess over our blog and have 3 hour conversations about our book on a daily basis.

But I will say that we've met some unbelievably cool people via our silly little blog. And when we all finally meet up at a conference one of these days, we'll totally be the life of the party. Can you imagine!?

lisa and laura said...

And yes, we secretly work for Twizzlers. They promise to send us free samples if we mention them on the blog at least once a day. So far it's working out beautifully.

PurpleClover said...

LOL. Totally. I wanna be in the fam. But alas, I must wait for LMJ to get there first so she doesn't have abandonment issues. ;)

Elana Johnson said...

I have a lot of blogs I like, so many I created a new blog just to list the blogs I like.

Yes, I am that lame. :)

Abby Annis said...

Thanks for the links. I'm following your friend. And cute stuff from your sis! Very cool!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, wow! A conference that I am not left out of! Thanks, Lila!

Tess said...

Poochie Prints? Now, I gotta check that one out...

Any diet coke in the house? With a chocolate fountain or two?

Ryan S. Kinsgrove said...

I'm a little late to the party, and I don't have any really coll links that nobody else has... So, I guess I'll just have to toot my own horn. Check out my blog at http://ryanmsmith1986.blogspot.com/

Please come and keep me company. I know that the four followers I do have get tired of listening to me rant, and I would enjoy some good comment chat.

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...