Before we begin, one of my favorite scenes:
We are staring at him again, still not certain what to make of the stranger in our midst. The stranger, however, appears quite comfortable with us.
"What's up with the plant?" He points to the despairing Lennie houseplant in the middle of the table. It looks like it has leprosy. We all go silent, because what do we say about my doppelganger houseplant?
"It's Lennie, it's dying, and frankly, we don't know what to do about it," Big booms with finality. It's as if the room itself takes a long awkward breath, and then at the same moment Gram, Big, and I lose it--Big slapping the table and barking laughter like a drunk seal, Gram leaning back against the counter wheezing and gasping for breath, and me doubled over trying to breathe in between my own uncontrolled gasping and snorting, all of us lost in a fit of hysterics the likes of which we haven't had in months.
I listened to this book when I was in the car and when I was supposed to be working out. As I read this scene, I cried. Right in the middle of the gym. And I wasn't embarrassed because it's that good. In fact, I hoped people would ask me what was wrong just so I could tell them about this amazing book. But the beauty of this particular scene is that, to me, it completely embodies the extreme emotions associated with grief. In fact, the whole book does. I found myself crying, but laughing at the same time. A phenomenon I had never experienced before in a book. She. Nailed. It.
So...because Casey's a lot smarter than we are, we're going to steal her verbiage and hope she forgives us!
We're going to give away The Sky Is Everywhere--a brand new copy for someone.
BUT (and this is a big BUT) here’s the catch, to enter our giveaway you have to be willing to do the SAME giveaway on your blog or Facebook. Meaning, you have to buy the book for someone else within TWO WEEKS of receiving the book from us. Your ONLY out is this: if you don’t love THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE enough to keep it and buy it for someone, you can give away the one you’ve received from us. But the giveaway has to continue. Meaning, whoever wins your giveaway has to buy it for their winner or give away the one they’ve received from you, depending on their feelings on it. However, it is our hope that this will create a chain of PURCHASES in order to support the title. Not a big pass-the-book-around fest. In fact, you might even consider starting your giveaway right after you win, just to support the author, particularly if you already planned to buy the book at some point. Because you won’t be out any more money than you would have been. Right? And because this book is SO, SO, SO good we think it’s the perfect candidate. We think you WILL want to keep this book and buy it for someone else. It’ll be beautiful. We’ll all be buying it for each other and spreading the word about a fantastic book and author.
And we trust that none of our readers will stop the chain, right? The winner will continue to spread the love for Jandy and The Sky Is Everywhere will rise to the top of the New York Times Bestseller List WHERE IT BELONGS, right?
So let’s do this! RULES:
1. You MUST have a blog or Facebook or somewhere you can give the book away and be clear about the rules (Twitter can't support it, for example).
2. You MUST be willing to hold this exact giveaway on your blog or Facebook in which you purchase this book for someone else (or giveaway the one you receive from us, IF you don’t love it) and require that YOUR winner do the same. Preferably within TWO WEEKS of receiving the book from us.
3. If you win, we ask that you PLEASE enter your giveaway into the linky widget here and have YOUR winner do the same on Casey's post (not on your blog). So we can track how long the chain lasts and how many purchases we achieve.
4. U.S. entrants only.
5. Spreading the word will gain you extra entries. Stalking Jandy Nelson on the net (only on the net!) will also get you extra entries. See the form.
6. The contest will run February 16th to February 22nd until MIDNIGHT. We will announce the winner on February 22nd and the chain will commence.
Additionally, if you love THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE as much as we do and you’d like to start your own giveaway chain, PLEASE DO and add yourself to the linky widget on Casey's blog. If enough people jump in, she’ll do a giveaway just for YOU. Like, she’ll order one winner whatever book they want (with a normal paperback or hardcover price). Sound good? YES, we love this book THAT MUCH.
To enter, please fill out this form: