Monday, October 10, 2011

7 Days of Editing Hell

Welcome to hades, my friends. Here's the deal. We've been slacking on edits. MAJORLY slacking.

Here are some of the things we've been doing instead of editing.

1. Internet shopping. Let's just say we both have new boots coming in the mail, Laura has two new scarves and I've even done some early Christmas shopping. Yeah.

2. Cyberstalking. Guilt might have stopped me from actually tweeting, but make no mistake, I've been stalking all of y'all on Twitter. (P.S. I still can't pull off y'all. Crap.)

3. Fall TV. My DVR has been recording so much it's smoking and yet, it's almost empty. Because I'm watching it ALL. So much shame.

4. Lee Nichols. I keep reading her book when I should be editing. And then I feel guilty for reading, so I edit like a paragraph and then I read some more. There's something wrong with me.

5. Dicking around on the internet. You guys, I've been pretend house hunting. That's right. Touring homes that I have no intention of ever buying because I'm procrastinating. Even worse, now Laura is searching for homes and sending me links.

THIS HAS TO STOP.

And you guys get to help.

In order to finish our edits in one week, we need to edit 6,500 words a day.  It's a lofty goal, but trust me when I say if you add up all the time we've been spending on the 5 things mentioned above, we'd have finished editing a month ago. Drastic times call for drastic measures, my friends.

And that's where you guys come in.

Every day for the rest of the week we're going to post the number of words we edited the day before. If that number is under 6,500 we'll do something supremely humiliating in a vlog and you, dear reader, will  get to suggest and vote on this humiliating act.

So...with the exception of Thursday October 13th (which just happens to be the book birthday of one of our favorite books) our blog posts will be word counts and random jibberish for the next 7 days.

Wish us luck.

P.S.
I have no idea why these continue to make me laugh so hard I almost pee, but they do. Oh, they do.

Please be warned explicit language and extreme randomness abound.

Happy Columbus Day!

10 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck. I know when you roll up your sleeves and sit in the chair that you two can get your edits done. I can totally relate to using the Internet to procrastinate though. Here's hoping you have a good week!

Summer Frey said...

It's the "of" that's tripping you up. You have to just say "all y'all." :)

Unknown said...

Is it wrong that I want you to fail? That I want to see what sort of humiliation you put yourselves through? :)

But in all honesty: good luck! I am going to have to do something like that soon with my word count...

Stina said...

Good luck with the editing goal. Kind of. I'm with Beth. There's still a teensy tiny part of me who wants you to fail. ;)

Natalie Zaman said...

LOL! But procrastination is so... inspiring (eventually?)--That's what I keep telling myself! Have a fab week!!!

Elana Johnson said...

You can do it! Good luck.

Tere Kirkland said...

Hmm, maybe you need to just use "you all" instead. ;)

I so hear you on the slacking, (it's not our fault there are so many good shows on tv right now, geez! and yes, i do need to watch every episode of dexter twice) but I finally finished my rewrites over the weekend. Now if I could just post to my blog more often, and start the full ms crit I promised I'd do for my crit buddy, I'd be golden!

Good luck, y'all!

Krispy said...

I hear you on the TV thing! I'm not even caught up on the shows I WANT to watch, and I've picked up a few new ones! Gah!

Good luck with your editing goals! I do hope you make them, even if I like the prospect of voting on vlog activities. :)

Mariah Irvin said...

This is totally my life! Interneting, television watching, reading, even KNITTING... anything but homework and revisions!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Go, go, go!!! And if it's any comfort, I have to write 100 pages by the end of next week . . . yeah, publisher deadline. Gulp. When we all get done, let's celebrate by . . . um, let's see, SHOPPING!!!

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...