Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day

As I was checking out directions to my voting location for tomorrow, I couldn't help but remember one fateful election day back in the late eighties/early nineties. My mom piled my sisters and I into the minivan and explained that she only had to run in. We soon became bored and decided to climb into the very back of the van--can't quite remember what we were doing back there, but I'm sure it was fun. When we heard the driver's door open, we assumed our mom had returned and we would be on our merry way. But upon closer inspection, a strange man had climbed into the car. Sure we were being kidnapped, we sat stone silent. Apparently, instead of our PE teachers encouraging us to create fire escape plans with our parents, they should have covered what to do when a strange man climbs into your mom's minivan while she is voting, because I'm pretty sure, "be quiet as a mouse" wouldn't be a suggested tactic. One of us must have finally blown our cover because the man eventually turned around, checked out our stunned little faces and said, "Oops, wrong car" and climbed on out. A classic election day memory.

1 comment:

lisa and laura said...

Laura - That is hilarious. I totally forgot about that little gem. I just remember looking at you thinking "oh shit, now what?" So much for that survival instinct that's supposed to kick in. It must have skipped our generation.

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...