Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's electric...

Well, something must be in the air over here. Things are happening. Things like the electricity in the entire upstairs of my house blowing out. 

Here's a little timeline for you:

9:01 PM - Getting ready to hit the sack (theoretically).

12:45 AM - The time I actually peel myself away from The Demon's Lexicon to head upstairs.

12:46 AM - Turn on hall light, huge flash of electricity instead of normal light. Ruh-roh.

12:46 AM - Panic a little, (Yup, I'm a mystery writer, slasher award winner who's completely terrified of the dark.) and race up the stairs to turn on bathroom light. No dice.

12:48 AM - In a moment of unprecedented bravery I attempt to brave the basement solo to inspect the fuse box. Saw this this skitter across the floor and high tailed it back upstairs. Yeah, scared of the dark AND bugs. I'd be the worst contestant on Fear Factor ever.

12:48 AM - Assess my options. 
a) Do nothing and sleep in a house that may burn to the ground before morning. 
b) Wake husband who won't actually be able to fix anything (he's missing that man gene) but will be able to do an insect check before I hit the back room. 
c) Refresh my e-mail and check StatCounter.

12:49 AM - Complete option c and proceed to option b.

12:52 AM - Unable to make any progress with fuse box.

1:01 AM - Finally give up and head upstairs. 

1:02 AM - Try not to think of the Bloody Mary game while I'm brushing my teeth and washing my face in the dark.

1:05 AM - 6:03 AM - Very restless sleep. Dream of electrical wires sparking, fires raging and books publishing.

6:04 AM - Emergency call to 24-hour handy man hotline (aka my dad). The situation is deemed electrician worthy.

6:07 AM - Call electrician.

6:08 AM - Right this very moment - Wait.

So yeah, I'm waiting. And waiting. And waiting. While I'm waiting I'm having deep conversations with the universe. Putting good vibes out there for a cheap fix for the electrical problem amongst other things. So if you have time send some good vibes our way today. We need them!

20 comments:

Kimberly Derting said...

I would ask if you were secretly married to *my* husband except that my husband wouldn't do the bug check either.

Sending good mojo your way. Electricians frighten me because they could say almost anything and I would just have to nod stupidly (and hope that my flirting skills can still earn me a *little* dent in the bill).

Tess said...

Oh, that's so funny. I hope all goes well and it's a cheap fix.

Your husband reminds me of mine...when we were living in CA a few years back (in not such a great neighborhood), I heard our back gate open and something hit the side of the house around 2am. I woke him up and he rolled over and said, "so call the police already".

Yeah, knight in shining armor *sigh* Oh well, he buys me jewelry so I guess it's all good ;)

Unknown said...

Definitely ghosts. What else could it be? ;)

I would tell you I am sending positive energy... but... Hee hee.

No really, heres hoping its not too expensive to fix. THIS is why I am telling my daughters to marry union men.

Weronika Janczuk said...

I dare say, what an interesting evening. I agree with Tess -- hope all things go well! Keep us updated. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

Well at least the internet is still working, even if the lights aren't! Sending bright, shiny (inexpensive) thoughts your way =)

Christina Lee said...

it would be so much worse if you couldn't get on the computer- that would really ruin my day!! good luck!

lisa and laura said...

$95 later we have light! WHOO HOO! Whenever we bring in a repairman I'm just convinced that it will cost us thousands upon thousands of dollars. I think it's a mental defense so that when I get the actual price I'll feel like I'm getting a bargain. Or I'm just a really good flirt (doubtful). Although some guy did try hitting on me via skype last night. Creepy! Are any of you on Skype? Laura and I just got accounts and need people to chat with.

Love that you all have husbands as inept as my own. Shouldn't there be some sort of boot camp for non-handy husbands? I'd be all over that for a father's day gift. Someone would make a fortune..

I'm feeling all rambly today...must be a temporary high from getting electricity restored.

XiXi said...

You know what? You should just write a book about your life. Because I would probably read it and laugh (in a nice way), like I'm doing right now.

Danyelle L. said...

*hugs*

That would have been awful. I probably wouldn't have had to wake my husband as my shrieks would have had him thinking the house was burning down.

JennyMac said...

Sending all positive thoughts (and virtual cocktails) your direction.

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha! Ha! I knew you'd pick C! (I would have too:)

Sarah Wylie said...

Okay, I didn't even laugh (much) because:
a) lack of electricity sucks
b) silverfish are of the devil.

I hope it's resolved soon!

Kelly H-Y said...

Yikes! Rough night! Hope everything gets fixed today! By the way ... that bug would have sent me high-tailing it back upstairs too!

Elana Johnson said...

So is it fixed yet? *good vibes* *good vibes* *good vibes*

JESSJORDAN said...

Option d) call the other half of your writing duo and make her come over for a ghost story campout. Or just do what my sis and I did during a recent lights-out: burn as many candles as you can find (yes, you CAN mix scents like honeydew, cotton, vanilla, and linen) and read read read like the nerds you know you are. :)

Little Ms J said...

Where do I sign Mr. J up for Handy Man camp? He threw a temper tantrum because he couldn't print a coupon the other day.

And, I have been singing the Electric Slide song all day after seeing your post on my phone. Damn it.

Sara Raasch said...

Dude, I still get chills just thinking about that Blood Mary game...ooo gotta go turn on all the lights in my house now.

Ryan S. Kinsgrove said...

Sorry about your electricity problem. I think that my wife would probably agree that I need a handy man camp, but the good news is our neighbors are good handy men.

Silverfish are the devil.

Word verification: nessee: trip to lock ness anybody?

Jeannie Lin said...

Sending good vibes to you and clicking my red heels too. (Okay, inside joke. It's for publishing mojo)

You were lucky it was a silverfish and not a chainsaw maniac, or even worse -- a big, hairy spider! Hope looking at statcounter made you feel better. In an odd way, it usually helps.

Abby Annis said...

Glad you got it all fixed. And I totally would have picked option c first, too. It's all about priorities. :D

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...