Thursday, July 2, 2009

Top 10 Things You Should Know About Lisa by Laura

I specifically wrote these before reading Lisa’s post about me. I’m the typical younger sister and if I read what she wrote, I would most definitely want to copy. Plus, she’ll know I checked because she’s StatCounter obsessed. There’s no fooling Lisa.

10. Lisa is in kick-ass shape. If I ever dare try a workout class with her, I get all black and fuzzy like I’m gonna pass out and she just kick, kick, kicks away. She looks funny doing it (who doesn’t?), but she could probably hold her own against Billy Blanks. Plus, she refers to a specific period of her life as, “Tae Bo skinny” where she existed on egg whites, water and Advanced Tae Bo. Watch your back Billy.

9. Lisa is very witty. Okay, you probably already know this, but she is. She can always think of something to say and it’s always clever. I KNOW that if our book ever gets published, people who know me will wonder if I had any part of it. The one-liners are all Lisa’s. She’s made of one-liners.

8. Lisa is a great therapist. I share. A lot. If you know me, I will tell you. Lisa is my favorite person to tell because her advice usually has to do with talking it out and doing something for myself like getting a manicure or joining a gym with childcare. She likes to remind me how important “training” is, whether I’m training Lydia to sleep or my husband to do what I want him to do. Solid advice.

7. Lisa is a mini-version of our mom. We call our mom “the regulator” and Lisa is exactly like her. She is a total control freak and likes to think things were her idea even if they weren’t. If you want Lisa to do something, it’s best to make her think she thought of it first. Lisa has a set schedule everyday which makes me feel like I’m flying by the seat of my pants. By the time I’ve brushed my teeth, Lisa has worked out and napped both kids (including a 4-year-old. Do 4-year-olds even take naps anymore?).

6. Speaking of “the regulator,” our mom is Lisa’s kryptonite. She always fears “the regulator” is judging her and draws crazy conclusions after harmless conversations. She’s a mom-pleaser to the bone and will be that way for the rest of her life. Let’s hope some of that rubs off on her own kids.

5. Lisa is a great mom. She always gives herself a hard time (mom-fails) but she’s the type of mom I’ve always wanted to be. She’s involved but not too involved. She’s planned but not too planned. Her kids will be those well-rounded kids who aren’t ridiculously over-scheduled and actually enjoy downtime. Plus, I’m sure they’ll be really funny. And cute. She makes ridiculously cute kids.

4. Lisa is Driven with a capital D. When she sets her mind to something, it happens. Anyone who has ever worked with Lisa comments on how hard a worker she is (okay, except Dr. Gregory of Dr. Langstaff and Gregory our high school employer. He didn’t consider housing a dozen bagels on a Saturday morning “work.” I beg to differ.) She’s determined to succeed at whatever it is she wants to do and that makes her a great writing partner. If she wants it and I want it, it should happen. Right?

3. Lisa is a great wife. She cooks dinner every night (something I can’t say for myself) and keeps her home neat and tidy. She’s always picking up after me when my diaper bag explodes or if Lydia pulls out each and every toy in their toy box. She’s easy-going (something I can’t usually say for myself) and supportive. I’ve learned a lot from her.

2. Lisa is a writer through and through. When we were little I used to go through her stuff and find stories written in journals. She was good then and she’s great now. She double-majored in English lit and has always had a passion for it. She keeps me focused and confident, but more than that, she keeps me writing. She says she couldn’t do this on her own, but I know she’s wrong. It wouldn’t be nearly as fun (please don’t ditch me) but I know she could do it. She’d come up with some fabulous book that everyone would want to publish. She’s good like that.

1. Lisa is an idea machine. When she says we’re idea whores, she really means SHE is an idea whore. She texts me in the wee hours of the morning, calls me, emails me, etc. with her range of ideas. I don’t know where they come from, but they come. She always has something cooking, which is extremely reassuring to me. I never know what she’ll come up with next. I love it.

0 (sorry, I have one more). Lisa loves anything wolves, especially sweatshirts with wolves on them. Just kidding. Lisa is a great big sister. She always invites us over and keeps us well-fed. I singlehandedly contribute to her large grocery bills. When she calls, I always want to talk and I can tell after the first word out of her mouth what kind of a mood she’s in. It must be a sister-thing.

15 comments:

Kimberly Derting said...

It must be an oldest sib thing to be controlling and have that need to "train" others. My husband can sit, stay, and even do the dishes. *he's a good boy...yes, he is...*

Oh, and the wolf sweatshirt...cracked me the eff up! Totally threw me. Nicely played, Laura. Nicely played!

Jen said...

I wish I had a sister! Especially an older sister. You are very lucky!!

Rebecca Knight said...

You guys are so sweet to each other! I'm an only child, so this is amazing to see :D. I'm jealous now..

Also, being that balanced kind of mom is something I aspire to in the future. Go, Lisa!

XiXi said...

I always wanted a sister!

Instead, of course, I get stuck with a brother six years younger than me. Lame. :-P

lisa and laura said...

Ok, first off I want to clear a few things up:

1. I'm not in kick ass shape, I just like to work out. And I will forever long for my days of being Tae Bo skinny. It was awesome aside from being ravenously hungry and therefor bitchier than usual throughout that period of my life.

2. Balanced is never a word I would use to describe my mothering. Crazy, screaming lady who chases her kids around public places and also has to fake an exit to convince them to come with her? Now that sounds about right.

3. That wolf sweatshirt is hot.

Kimberly - You and I should partner for a non-fiction book about training husbands and other relatives. We'd be millionaires.

Jen - Sisters are the best! We are really, really lucky. You can totally be an honorary Roecker!

Rebecca - Yeah, but you didn't have to share your clothes as a teenager. Sisterly love just isn't the same when you've got some skinny blond chick trying to rip your shirt off in the hallway because you borrowed it without asking. Trust me.

Icy - That's so funny because we always wanted a brother! Grass is always greener...

Tess said...

I want an idea machine! Where do I get one of those? Sheesh, skinny, fit and full of brilliant ideas.

great.

jk! I love these posts, guys :D

Sarah Wylie said...

Okay, I'm officially not sure if I can continue reading you guys' blog. You're BOTH in great shape, super talented writers and as if that's not bad enough, one of you is an idea machine while the other is married to a Josh Duhamel look-alike and can bargain hunt??
Why do the rest of us even bother?

Even though I'm still burning with jealousy inside, I loved these two posts. So sweet!

Elana Johnson said...

Very cool! I still can't keep you apart, but now I know more about each of you. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

I LOVE this post! I have three sisters ... they are THE best!

Rebecca Knight said...

Hahaha. Okay, I DID have a college roommate who used to borrow my clothes without asking. She was a foot shorter than I was, so it was semi-ridiculous.

But yeah, no shirt-rippage. So point taken!

jdsanc said...

I have three sisters. I love sisters. My daughter has no sisters, and I worry about that. She has a brother, but he already doesn't want to hear every single thing she is thinking or help her choose which shoe to wear or even cry just because she is. I fought with my sisters constantly growing up, but I can't go more than three days without talking to one of them. Thanks for giving me another reason to give them a call!

Katie Anderson said...

So cute! HOw did I miss these?! Summer sucks! I am behind on all of my blog reading and writing. Now I must go read Laura's... er, Lisa's.

Anonymous said...

I love these posts. So true. And Lisa, you are a great therapist and always giving me ideas! You are lucky to have each other.

Gabe

Sherrie Petersen said...

I love these lists! And I have total sister envy. I wanted a big brother or a little sister. Instead I got a little brother, who is ok I suppose. In small doses.

So where's the picture of Lisa wearing that wolf sweatshirt? :)

Little Ms J said...

You guys are adorable! Lisa, I have a wolf sweatshirt with your name on it. You just have no idea.

Isn't it funny how we never see ourselves as others do? Someone told me I was serene the other day and I was like, "What? Me? Do you know what goes on in this head of mine?" I'm sure you're the only one that thinks you're "unbalanced." :-)

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...