Thursday, September 11, 2008

Competition...




So, it looks like we've got some stiff competition in the YA author world...Lauren Conrad has decided to "write" a series of young adult books based on her rise to fame from Laguna Beach all-American teen to reality superstar.


You might be wondering why I use quotes around the term "write," well I have to admit that I'm a little skeptical of L.C. actually writing anything. She just doesn't strike me as the most articulate person on the planet. For those of you who watch the Hills, it seems as though she spends an inordinate amount of time chewing and nodding, and when she does speak it tends to be things like "shoes make me happy," and yes, that is an actual quote from Lauren herself. Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the lines she does say on that show have been written by some sorry intern over at MTV. So really, this book deal isn't really all that much different than her reality show, someone else will be writing things that she will pass off as her own.


I'm sorry, do I sound a little bitter? Ok, fine - I'm bitter. The truth is, that if by some combination of fate and extraordinarily good luck L.C. called me and asked me to ghost write her book, I'd have my unfashionable ass on the next plane to L.A. with my laptop powered up and ready to write whatever her spoiled little heart desires.


I guess as an aspiring writer it just makes me a little jealous to see how easily a three-book deal falls into the lap of some starlette that has supposedly completed an outline. I suppose that just means our book, written by two completely unknown sisters from Cleveland (seriously, Cleveland has to be the least trendy place to live in the country at this point) will have to kick some serious ass and get published based on the merits of our writing - you know, the good old fashioned way.

No comments:

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...