Monday, October 6, 2008

Doing what you love...

Ok, I realize that we haven't been very funny lately, so a huge apology to all three of our faithful readers. The truth is that our agent search has been extraordinarily draining. Honestly, we had no idea what we were getting into.

Those of you who know me, know that I don't take risks. The perfect example is that I've worked at the same boring company since I graduated college - 7 years! Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly adequate job. It pays well, tons of flexibility so I get lots of time with the kids, but is it fulfilling? No. Do I jump out of bed every morning itching to start my work? No. Do I love it? Not even close.

Reading and writing has always been my first love, but I never dared to dream of becoming a writer. Too risky. Too impractical. Too scary. Even when I was choosing a major in college, practicality tempered my dreams and I ended up with a double major in Marketing and English Literature. While my friends looked for glam jobs in PR and advertising, I ended up at an HR consulting firm. I was practical. I was boring. I was safe. I read books on the weekends, and I entertained my friends and family with funny e-mails. Inevitably, people would comment on my writing and ask why I didn't write or blog or whatever, and I just brushed them off. Not for me, I would think. I can't possibly do something like that.

And then out of nowhere, Laura and I got this idea. The most amazing idea for a book. And I fell in love. Suddenly, all I can think about is our book. I dream about our characters and for the first time in my life, I stop reading and I write. I write to make Laura laugh. I write to make my family proud. But mostly I write for me.

Now here we are doing something that's completely selfish, totally impractical, and 100% fulfilling. So every request we get, gives me hope. Hope that I can do the one thing I've always dreamed of doing. And every rejection reminds me of why I never dared to dream this big before. Because when you dream big you often fall hard.

So...here we are. Hearts on our sleeves. Putting ourselves out there for the first time ever. It's terrifying. It's consuming. It's amazing.

No comments:

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...